This course is an introduction to the DAX (Data Analysis Expression) language, used by Power Pivot and Power BI Desktop. Mastery of this language enables users of these two solutions to create flexible, easy-to-update dashboards, as well as advanced, relevant data visualizations. We recommend that you first take our Power BI training series.
- Identify the implicit and explicit evaluation contexts of a DAX measure.
- Write measures in DAX that consider evaluation contexts
- Create advanced data visualizations using strong measures written in DAX language
- Introduction to the DAX language
- What is the DAX language?
- How does DAX work?
- Why do we need DAX?
- Where can DAX be used?
- How do I write a DAX formula?
- What’s the difference between a calculated column and a measurement?
- What is an evaluation context?
- What’s the difference between a row context and a filter context?
- What are the DAX language conventions?
- Master the main DAX functions
- Understand aggregation and iteration functions
- Understanding the RELATED and RELATEDTABLE functions
- Understanding COUNTROWS functions
- Understanding FILTER/DISTINCT/VALUES functions
- Understanding CALCULATE functions
- Understanding ALL functions
- Understanding the EARLIER function
- Understanding the FIRSTNONBLANK AND LASTNONBLANK functions
- Understanding TIME INTELLIGENCE FUNCTIONS
- Understand how to interweave these different functions
- Bonus: Understanding how to work with fiscal calendars
- Bonus: Understanding how to work with 4-4-5 calendars
This advanced training course is offered in English.
The targeted learners for this training course are professionals who use Power Pivot and/or Power BI Desktop to analyze data and create high-performance, dynamic dashboards.
The average score for learners who have completed the course is 78 %.
Each learner must have access to a portable computer equipped with Power BI Desktop. You can find the free version of Power BI Desktop here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45331.
Note: This course is offered via Power BI Desktop, but is also aimed at Power Pivot users in Excel. Therefore, learners who are not familiar with Power BI Desktop, but who use Power Pivot in Excel, will be able to transfer the concepts learned to Power Pivot for Excel without difficulty.
Course registration includes:
- a PDF document with step by step instructions to build the course report
- a data model from which to create calculated columns and measurements in DAX
- a data model with calculated columns and measurements in DAX (solved exercises)
- a summary of the most frequently used DAX functions (checklist)
- a forum to ask questions
This training qualifies for 0.6 continuing education units (CEUs).
Le CFO masqué is a member of the Société de formation et d’éducation continue (SOFEDUC), which defines a Continuing Education Unit (CEU) as 10 hours of participation in a structured training activity organized and conducted by an accredited organization, facilitated by qualified instructors and culminating in an evaluation. Only SOFEDUC members in good standing are authorized to use the graphic symbol.