This training course is an introduction to the best practices in financial modeling in Excel. It teaches how to handle Excel functions and functionalities in order to build effective financial models that allow financial forecasts, scenario analysis and sensitivity analysis.
- Apply best business practices in financial modeling
- Create scenario analysis and sensitivity analysis
- Eliminate calculation errors through the use of advanced functions and modeling techniques
- Master the Excel functions necessary to develop a dynamic and efficient financial model
- Introduction to financial modeling
- What is a financial model?
- What are dependent and independent variables?
- What are the best practices in financial modeling in Excel?
- Scenario ans sensitivity analysis
- How to build a one-variable sensitivity table?
- How to build a two-variable sensitivity table?
- How to use the switch technique?
- How to use the multiplier technique?
- How to use the delay technique?
- How to use the input technique?
- How to use the scenario manager?
- Excel financial modeling functions
- How to use the following functions for more flexibility:
- If, Or, And
- SumIf, SumIfs
- Interaction between forecast and actual data
- How to work with actual data and build a rolling forecast?
- How to build a variance analysis between actual and forecast data?
- Presentation tips
- What functions to use to build quick summaries?
- How to improve a financial model with the Indirect and the Address functions?
- How to improve the presentation with the Round and IsError functions?
- Optimization tips
- How to add total controls and validation pages?
- How to audit a financial model?
- How to protect a financial model?
- How to document a financial model?
This training course offers approximately 6 hours of content.
This training course is offered in English.
The targeted learners are the professionals who are already using Excel in their day-to-day work activities and have to build financial forecasts, budgets, business cases and data analysis aiming at supporting business decision making.
Sophie Marchand, M.Sc., CPA, CGA, MVP, holds a M.Sc. in corporate finance and the accounting accreditation CPA, CGA. Moreover, she is the sole Excel MVP in the Province of Québec and one of the two Data Platform MVP in Québec. She received the MVP designation from Microsoft. MVP stands for « Most Valuable Professional ». She has many years of experience as a corporate finance professional and she specializes in financial modeling and in business intelligence. She acts as a consultant, a trainer as well as a speaker.
Each learner must have access to a portable computer equipped with MS Excel 2007 or more for Windows, or MS Excel 2011 or more for Mac.
Course registration includes PowerPoint presentations, Excel files with examples and exercises and reference to a web site (in French) where many additional resources are available as well as a public forum (in French).
At the end of the training course, the learner will get a certificate of completion. This certificate will include the accreditation number of the trainer from Emploi-Québec, the name of the learner, the name of the training course, the date, the number of continuous training hours as well as the name and signature of the trainer. This certificate meets the standards for continuous training requirements of Québec-based professional orders.
No refund if cancelled within 2 weeks or less before the training session date. Otherwise, credit will be issued.
Once arrangements are made and the booking is confirmed, 25% of the training cost will be claimed for any cancellation.